Wednesday 22 April 2015

3/100 Odisha Sambalpuri gift from Kuni Nani

3/100

#100sareepact 

Some memories are so precious that one holds on to those forever. I had gone to Bhubaneswar in Dec 2011, for a cousin's wedding. I had promised my mamiji (maternal aunt) that I would attend their youngest son's wedding as and when it happened. 

I very rarely visit my home state. Last time I had visited in Nov 2002. My mom is second in number amongst ten children and well rspected by all her younger siblings. I too am much loved because my visits are far in between.

My mausi was wearing this particular Sambalpuri cotton sari and I told her I loved it on her. She too is a teacher. She lives in Sambalpur, Orissa and gets most of her saris directly from weavers. That day she was wearing it for the first time and the very next day, she gave it me after washing it. (Yes, you can wash Sambalpuri cottons at home). I was like, OMG! I cherish this spontaneous gift from my mausi who loves me like her daughter. 

I have draped it once before today with a plain red blouse. Today I chose one of those khadi blouses with embroidery. Anyone who has been draping saris has one or two of those khadi blouses. 

My mom wears Odisha Ikat all the time. I too own quite a lot of Odishi stuff. Be it saris or churidaar suits or dupattas. I love to flaunt my state on me, in one way or the other.






No comments:

Post a Comment